Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Freedom is the greatest gift

Freedom is the greatest gift
I was on a business trip and I took Flavio with me. He was a little boy, 4 years old.
I stopped on my friend’s Jeffrey Katz apartment on my way to flying to my assignment, but he wash’ there. I went to see him, he was on a park, sitting on the grass having a picnic. I talked to him a little and I remembered another time in the past when we had a picnic there. I told him goodbye and I kissed him. I told him that I would visit him again, but now I had to go to work. On my way back to the apartment to pick up Flavio I was informed that his father had passed away.
I didn’t know what to do, if I would go to my assignment and then tell Flavio afterwards or if I would tell him and take him to the funeral. I didn’t know how to tell him. I packed everything and then  told him what had happened. It was very hard to tell a little boy that his father had died. He was inconsolable. I took him back to Brazil and I called his father’s girlfriend to ask her about the funeral arrangements and where should I take my son. Flavio and I were crying a lot. I was sad to realize how important his father was for him and how I had failed to noticed that while he was still alive.

I woke up with the end of the radio documentary on BBC about gtmo detainees: Freedom is the greatest gift.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01sg4cm

No comments:

Post a Comment